....

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spoiled Rotten?

HIGH MAINTENANCE
AND IN CONTROL

Well, I have made it clear that my child is HIGH MAINTENANCE. The girl knows what she wants. I have worried about spoiling her by giving-in to each of her cries. I've worried about trying to get her on a schedule (which I really am working on). But what is too much? What's not enough. I'm sure many many people out there would have an opinion. (I"m just not sure I'm ready to listen.)

If you don't me, I am very particular with my house and I keep it picked up at all times or it will drive me to insanity. People kept telling me when I was prego that once Braylin was born that I would get over the obsessive compulsive need to keep my house picked up and perfect... but not so much- still have OCD. Maybe it will change but I think I'm even worse. If you are a mother you know that it's not easy- waking up, getting dressed, getting baby bathed and dressed, getting both mouths fed, beds made, kitchen cleaned, bottles washed, laundry etc, etc (much respect for working mommas). Braylin can sometimes make those small accomplishments very hard, so I finally made a great investment. I bought a kangaroo pouch (Baby Bjorn Carrier)! You just put on the pouch and slip the baby in! Its great! So when I'm not quite done "tidying" the house but Braylin is not ready to be put down, I just pop Braylin into my kanga pouch and we clean together! SHE LOVES IT! My mom kept telling me that I was going to spoil her, but I don't think so. We may look funny, but I get things done! I highly recommend it to everybody with a new baby.
Baby Carrier Original benefits
Our nifty Kanga Pounch!
(Mom and Jalee... QUIT LAUGHING!
Its the only way I can make the beds sometimes!)


Braylin is such a blessing that I don't want to miss a second. You can't blame me! I like to hold her. I like to rock her. I like to keep her under my wing at all times. I want to protect beyond my control. I want to be at her beckon call.  You think I'm spoiling her don't ya.

It's no secret that Braylin has had some pretty rough nights in the past and sometimes keeps her momma up. Since she's a night owl, Miss Thing and I sleep in the guest bedroom during the week so we don't wake Daddy Bear. She's done so much better at sleeping between feedings at night, but she still chokes sometimes and spits-up through her nose. It's scary to wake up to a panicked baby in the middle of the night. So....Braylin sleeps with me...in my bed. Yes, I know what you are thinking and what you are going to say, but sssshhhhh-- I don't want to hear it. It's so much easier to have her right beside me so that I can grab her up if she chokes or something terrible like that. My plan is that when she gets a little older and sleeps through the night, and quits all of these little preemie tendencies, I will put her in her real baby bed and I'll move back in the bedroom with Jared every night.

So you say she's spoiled... right?


Last weekend Jared and I took Braylin (and her little hairy sister Fibi) on a stroll through the park. The park has smooth sidewalk that is perfect for strolling a baby on. You would think that she'd love it. You might think that she would just sleep right through it all. NOPE! She screamed 50% of the time. Jared had an idea at the last stretch on the way back, rushing, to the car--- to stroll the rest of the way on the grass. "It has more bumps. Maybe she'll like that better" he suggested. I tried it-- and like a light switch, the crying stopped and we had a happy baby. Guess she likes to off-road. I understand that. When we tried strolling again around our neighborhood, she liked it. We don't have sidewalks so we have to stroll on the street...the street is bumpy enough for her liking, I guess.

Spoiled?
Just Strolling... on the road!

Some people have told me how they just let their babies "cry it out". "Let her cry a little. Its good for her to learn how to self soothe". I DON'T THINK SO! She's a baby!!! I would never put her in her room and shut the door and let her cry at such a young age. Are you crazy? That would affect her in the future when she's older. When a baby cries, they need something. She needs her momma. I just can't do it! When Braylin cries, I listen and analyze and figure out what she needs. That's my job and one that I always have time for.

Spoiled?
Always entertained. This baby will NEVER be locked in a room to cry.


Is she spoiled? Well to make myself feel better and make everybody else's wise comments and "prior experience that proved to work comments" come to a HALT. Yes I could be spoiling my greatest little miracle of a blessing..... but I just received the smartest little piece of research (thanks mom for sharing) and I choose to believe what IT says. See for yourself:



Find out why it's impossible to spoil a newborn with your love and attention.



Whether it’s from a family member or a well-meaning neighbor, almost every new mommy has heard the same warning at some point or another: “If you keep picking up your baby every time she cries, you’re going to spoil her.” Or “Watch out — you can spoil a newborn by feeding her whenever she wants.” To those who say you pay too much attention — don’t pay them any attention (true for much of the unwanted baby advice you’ll be getting). The truth is, it’s impossible to spoil a newborn. That’s right, impossible! And the experts agree. Here’s what the research shows:


Newborns cry because they have basic needs — to be fed, held, comforted, and loved. Their needs are actually the same as their wants at this age. And it is your job to listen to your instincts and respond to those needs and wants as best you can. If that means toting your infant around in a sling while you do the laundry or getting up every few hours throughout the night to nurse, so be it. That won’t spoil a newborn. Far from it. When you respond to your newborn’s cries and try to meet her needs, you’re teaching her to feel secure and confident. And that security and confidence will result in less crying and more independence in the long run. That’s because young babies who feel a deep trust in their parents tend to develop a secure sense of self that helps them self-soothe later on.


Newborns aren’t manipulative. Worried that your baby may be using her whimpers and tears to manipulate you? Even your precious angel isn’t smart enough for that kind of complicated thought at this young age. Newborns’ needs and wants are much more straightforward. So each time you or your hubby quickly responds to your infant’s cries for food, a cuddle, or help nodding off to sleep, you’re reinforcing the notion that you’ll be there for your little one and that she can count on you. This notion will not spoil a newborn but will instead help her develop a healthy bond with her parents. Of course there will be times when you can’t get to your infant as quickly as you might like (hey, mommies have to pee, too!), but responding to your infant’s needs as best you can will let your infant know she’s loved. And guess what? A baby who’s secure in her bond with her parents is a happier, less-needy baby — and becomes an older baby who has the courage to take on the world without clinging to you.


It's a little different with older babies. Once your baby gets to be about six months old, however, her wants will get more sophisticated and they may not be the same thing as her needs. For instance, an older baby may want to pull your hair or earring or she may want that TV remote with all the interesting buttons. In cases like that, it’s good to set some limits and teach discipline — that way, your baby will be more capable of understanding the concept that Mommy doesn’t always give me what I want, but she still loves me. For now, though, while your little one is still so young, remember that you can’t spoil a newborn — but you can teach her to trust in you and the world.
   borrowed from What to Expect

See... Braylin is not spoiled!
ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Right? Wrong?
Who knows?
All I know is that I am blessed to have Braylin and I want to hug, kiss, and love on her all of the time and I don't want to share.
Yes, she wears me out. Yes, we have a few rough days.
It's MY JOB.
A job that I happen to LOVE.
So.... we will carry on as is. Ask me in about 10 years if I made a mistake
 and I'll let you know then. hee hee!

BLESSED. BLESSED. BLESSED. BLESSED. BLESSED. BLESSED. BLESSED. BLESSED



2 comments:

  1. ha! noone said you HAVE to let them cry....you just do that if you want a full nights sleep....ever in the next couple of years:) ha! I totally understand! When you have wanted this baby for so long, it's hard to put them down. I say do whatever works for you and YOUR family. NOt every baby is the same and not every family is the same. Love the pics. hope we get to visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I don't know you.....I know this I don't think your "spoiling" your precious angel I like to call it "well Loved" and I think you are doing a WONDERFUL job at that...She is just a little doll.....
    Sonya Brame

    ReplyDelete